If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

9/01/2004

Jinx

I ended up staying home sick today. It's a rest day for walking, but I had been planning to ride my bike into work for the Bike Commute Challenge which began today. It's also a upper-body weightlifting day. No such luck. So I spent the day sleeping, which I must have needed. Disappointing though -- where's my endorphin rush?

I had a great training day on Saturday -- 12 miles, the first 4.5 miles straight up hill -- and I ended up with a 15:25 pace, incredible for me. But since then I've felt run down, and the humidity and warmth hasn't helped any. I did about 2 hours of slow walking both Monday and Tuesday, each time feeling like I was just dragging myself.

One very cool thing happened yesterday afternoon -- I got my Portland Marathon training shirt. It's even prettier than it looks on the website, and it's made of a nice technical fiber fabric. Woohoo! My coworkers seemed to think I had already walked the marathon, and that this was my finisher's prize.