If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

9/02/2004

addicted to the HRM

I'm totally addicted to my heart rate monitor. I wear it almost every time I do anything involving exercise. Including riding my bike into work this morning.

I know I must be tired or dehydrated or maybe just recovering from our 30K (18.something miles), but my heart rate has been a little elevated this week, and it was hard keeping my heart rate below 75% on the ride in. And real bike riders know this, but I'm just learning it: you find hills where you had no idea, as a walker, that there were hills. It's all very interesting.

Riding the bike is such a different activity than walking. When I'm walking, I'm constantly thinking about form -- am I standing up straight, am I going heel to toe, and lately, am I maintaining the hip wiggle (don't laugh, it's hard!)? -- and strategy. Bike riding, well, anything goes.

So, I rejoice in the downhills, and I watch as people pass me -- it seems like the same guy, over and over again. That's okay -- I'm doing what I'm doing. I'm barely aware of the river as I ride along it. I don't recognize anyone, but the street people, who seem a bit more beneficient when I'm on my bike.

I thought a bit about my teenage years, when I trained for a century on a single-speed Free Spirit. I wasn't fast then either. I didn't know nothing about nothing. I just liked to ride. I hope to get back to that.

I finished Slow Fat Triathlete this morning. Now I'm in the period of mourning that comes after finishing a good book. Mind you, I have a pile of walking books on the table waiting for me, and I bet there are some good ones there. Also, marathon and ultra training books. But will they be as witty and warm as SFT? Unlikely.