If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

9/03/2004

Friday, finally

This morning as I was drinking my coffee, I kept hearing what sounded like buses driving up in front of the house. We are just off a bus route, but the sounds of buses are fairly faint unless you're listening for them. Not this morning. Imagine my surprise when I was taking the bike out the front door, and -- whoosh! -- there goes a #4. The public transit site says nothing about it, naturally.

I kept thinking about going back to bed, or taking the bus, or something. I really wasn't into the idea of riding the bike in this morning, or doing my morning workout (which is still undone), but I finally did get myself out the door and made it to work in record time: 25 minutes.

It's gray and overcast and chilly this morning -- I had meant to bring a jacket, but I forgot to put it on and once I got outside I decided to do without, rather than go back in and be 5 minutes later. My goal this morning was just to get to work ASAP, so I did not wear the heart monitor. I also decided to ride more of the bike routes. So I cut over to Vancouver Street, and low and behold, no bike route. I followed another cyclist down. I hung back at the lights, keeping up my cadence so I could take off quickly, and that worked out well. I really felt like a reasonable cyclist until I got downtown and then the line of men on bikes started passing me. Some other cyclists said hi to me though, which was nice.

It will be very pleasant to be walking again tomorrow, to be back in my comfort zone. 11 miles, not much.