If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

9/06/2004

11 miles

I had a really nice walk on Saturday. 11 miles was the plan. It was cool and overcast. We started at 6 a.m. -- before it was light out! I met up with my fav. walking pal, J., who goes much faster than I do -- but yesterday she took mercy on me, and we went slower than she'd like, and faster than I'd like. It was a good compromise. We went up Terwilliger Parkway to the Chart House, a very nice, serious hill, and then back down, a lap around the Duniway Track, which is the most luxurious track imaginable. Then down by Old Spaghetti Factory, down the Willamette Greenway to Willamette Park, and back. J. called it good at 8 miles, but I went to finish it up, and I was amazed at how many people I was able to pass. In the end, I did 10.93 miles at a 17.29 mile, which is nothing to write home about, but it felt good.

Strangely enough, the Garmin called last weeks route, which was exactly the same, 12 miles. I did a 15.25 mile then. I don't know what to think.