If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

9/19/2004

Race for the Cure Stats

Komen Race for the Cure 5K Coed run
September 19, 2004
Portland, Oregon
3.1 miles
49:15
15.89 minute/mile pace

I'm really pleased.

My sweetie and I went out carousing last night -- we went to see American Beer. Rogue Brewery was pouring some of their own, so we had a couple American Ambers while watching the movie. The movie was definitely indie -- the sound was badly mastered, some parts were dark -- but really amusing. I drank a ton of water hoping to be in reasonably good shape for today. And it seems to have worked, in spite of some really really intense unpleasant dreams (the stalker-killer, the semi-automatic Jesus, and my sweetie sleeps with somebody else -- ack!)

We had a tremendously slow start (who knows how many thousands of participants, not organized by time at all), and I, in turn, started out too fast and was unable to get my heart rate below 72% for the first mile. The first mile was the only mile marked (argh!), so I managed to slow down and relax for the next mile or so, and picked it up once we were crossing the Burnside Bridge back into downtown. I passed lots of people, and had the requisite response. At least once in every fun run, I'll pass a young person who will then freak out that they were passed by a fat walker. They will then start running, and run for about 10 ft, and then stop so they are ahead of me again. This may happen several times. I almost invariably pass them again and cross the finish line in front of them, and I certainly did this time.

I wore my Run Against Bush shirt, and got no comments at all during or before the race. I thought, maybe this was just crass to be wearing a political t-shirt. But coming through the shute, everyone complimented me on the shirt.

After the race, I met up with M. and one of her friends to do the 5K women's walk. We did a 30 minute mile pace, mostly because it was so very crowded and bottle-necked. It's unpleasant to walk that slow!

There were tons of survivors there. That was cool and scary at the same time. I walked in celebration of my mom, an acquaintance, and two coworkers.

Now I'm tired. Unfortunately, my work still waits.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice work on the race! And for a good cause.

Now WHERE can I get a "Run Against Bush" shirt!???!!! I want one NOW!

5:43 PM

 
Blogger vj said...

Hey Marshall, thanks! Check out www.runagainstbush.org

9:23 PM

 

<< Home