If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

9/12/2004

I can't wait for the marathon

So, yesterday, I did 21 miles and thought it was gonna kill me. Today I can't wait to do the marathon. Oh my gosh, I've lost my tiny mind!

I actually feel remarkably good today, physically and mentally. It was a nice cool day, and I rode my bike into work, which was really pleasant. When I got downtown a couple blocks from my building, I saw the Pants-On-Fire-Mobile slowly driving by. Too cool!

I can't wait to do the marathon partially because I want to know if I'm going to like that distance. Maybe I'll hate it. But I loved 19 miles. And I love the idea of having an excuse to travel other places.

Oh. In the spirit of full-disclosure about seeing my coworker yesterday... We had emailed each other on Friday, also known as the day before my 21 mile death march, and I had sent her this obnoxiously cheerful email about blisters and walking routes. I mean, I was little Mary sunshine.

And I was so not little Mary sunshine yesterday at 15 miles when I saw her, all perky in her street shoes and clothes. I was definitely not perky -- I had run out of water and sport drink, I was tired and in pain, and while I was wearing my most cheerful walking skort, I probably had my own black cloud on a string.

I thought about how I had said that you need to put the blister pads on your feet when you first start to feel the hot spot, and I thought about the fact that I had about 5 hot spots that I had been aware of for about 7 miles at that point. (And I had blister pads in my pack). I thought about the fact that I was wearing a Portland Marathon training shirt, and that perhaps that had jinxed me -- why had I tempted fate? And I was afraid she'd pass me, which she did -- here I was, having trained for months, to be passed by someone who had started training last month? Well, yes. I reminded myself that weight does make a difference in speed, and she weighs at least 100# less than me. And, that I had been walking 15 miles at that point. And, who am I kidding, I'm just not all that fast.

I'm not the only one who had my butt thoroughly kicked by the 21 miler. A big thread has developed on the PFit forum about who was the most miserable. The strange thing is that everyone can't wait for the marathon.