If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

10/06/2004

things are looking up

King Food MartThings are looking up around here. Listen to this!

  1. my ankle is hurting less and I have more flexibility!

  2. they are finally demolishing the King Food Mart!

  3. the gym had the latest issue of Runner's World!

  4. I had a great upper-body workout!



I can't tell you how relieved I am that my ankle is feeling better. It still hurts to walk on it, but at least it doesn't hurt so much just existing. And, after, what, five years or so of being closed, it's so wonderful to see the wrecking ball taking down the King Food Mart.

I suppose I owe some backstory here. The KFM has been an eyesore forever--a magnet for crime, drugdealing, prostitution, etc etc. Once the KFM was closed, things started settling down in my neighborhood. That isn't to say that there aren't regular flareups of obvious drugdealing and prostitution, but it's not constant any more. Still, for everyone I know in the neighborhood, the KFM has represented everything we've worked so hard to get away from. And now, finally, it's really going away.

I feel like I'm in limbo. I have to take it easy, I don't know when I'll be able to do anything really, I can't really make any plans for walking. Frustrating. This will pass. At least for now, I'll live vicariously through Marshall and his big ultra race in Kansas this weekend (he's gonna do great!!).

Hollie had mentioned another blog the other night that I should check out, Lexysmash. So I did check it out, and check this out! Here's an entry about Hollie and here's a gallery of pics of Hollie marathoning (as in, at the Portland Marathon on Sunday). Now, check this out--all those pictures are of Hollie after mile 21--is that fair? She looks like she's just out for a jog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home