If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

11/07/2004

Dear Rodale

Dear Rodale,
I purchased Women's Health (you and improved) with some enthusiasm. If you want me to become a regular subscriber, here is what I want to see:

  • an emphasis on health, primarily the areas that Rodale does so well with other publications: running, cycling, fitness, nutrition, supplements

  • I don't want to read or see spreads on fashion or makeup. I don't want to know what he won't tell me or sexy things I can do with him or for him or why opposites attract. I don't want to know how to dress slimmer, or why layered hair is good--every other women's, and notably women's fitness, magazine already does this.

  • I don't mind diet stuff, but that shouldn't be the emphasis of the magazine. Start from the idea that women are okay the way they are, but they want to be healthier, stronger, more fit, more successful.

  • in the best of all possible worlds, you would be like the original Women's Sports and Fitness, targeting an audience of all active (and wannabe) intelligent women, or like Dandelion (ditto)

  • there's an audience waiting for a new mainstream women's health magazine--but this isn't it. This is a weird mating of Men's Health and any women's fitness magazine out there. We're smarter than that--and so are you

2 Comments:

Blogger Soupytwist said...

Amen, sister!

7:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog and great post, re: Women's Health.

I love, love, love Men's Health. I find it exceedingly useful, smartly written and not at all condescending. So I was sure I'd love Women's Health. But I'm not quite there yet. Why? I'm still trying to figure that out...

I mean, Men's Health has fashion in it (yeah, fashion for *men*, but it's fashion nonetheless). They have sex stuff. So why did I so resent it in Women's Health?

So far, I've come up with this: I hate that Women's Health exercises only show using or tell women to use dumbbells, while Men's Health pulls out the long bar. Petty, but that's really the only thing I've identified for sure yet.

Anyway, great blog. Keep up the good work!

Lynne
http://lynnedurham.typepad.com/je_cour

10:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home