If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

10/21/2004

road rash

It had to happen. It was just a matter of time. I realized as I was getting on the bike to come home that I hadn't actually ridden up every hill. No, I had forgotten about the steep ramp coming out of the parking garage. Well, damn it, I've seen other people ride up that hill, I can do it too (what was that phrase, vanity coming before a fall?). So, I tried it, and I almost got all the way up before it was clear that I wasn't going to make it, and indeed, I fell over backwards, landing on my backpack and my elbow. I was mortified.

The parking garage guy, who is very nice, came over to assess the situation, and help me up. I was mortified. I was a mess. And it didn't seem right to take the bus or the train. No, I needed to chin up and just ride home. And I did. The road rash on my elbow--well, you don't want to hear my whining. I hear chicks dig scars (the boyfriend was mortified).

I rode home slowly. And, I actually encountered someone who rides slower than I do! Unfortunately, he was having an animated conversation, I think with himself, so I suppose I can't brag about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home