If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

9/21/2004

Kittens Hailed As Key To Marathon Success

KITTENS - worshiped in many lands as the spirit animal of running and walking, they inspire, protect, and most of all love...albeit in a rather aloof way. Maybe "aloof" is the wrong word. COMPLETE! We have three adorable kittens to give away. They are playful, box/house trained, and most of all, come from a long line of marathoners... Good luck to everyone next week. (These companions would surely distract you from the taper jitters...they know no taper.)

- from the PFit forum


The last couple days have been a blur. Work's been crazed and chaotic and I've let it invade the rest of my life. Bicycle riding, however, brings me back to the present. Be here now. Watch for cars and car doors and cats. Try to make it up this pathetic little hill without panting. Say hi to other cyclists.

I'm seeing some small victories. It's getting easier -- not as fast as I'd like, but still. Today I dressed in old pants to come into work, rather than the bike skort or running shorts that I usually wear, and I felt like people were expecting less of me. Or maybe I was expecting less of me.

Yesterday I came part of the way home on the MAX train. I stood next to a bike messenger type with a flock of seagulls haircut. Nice bike, natch. I noticed a round donut-like bike lock on his bike frame so I asked him about it. He took it out of its holster and flipped it open in one fluid motion. Cool! It also has the kyptonite style circular lock, and may be as easy to open without a key. But it sure was cool looking.

0 Comments:

<< Home