If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

9/09/2004

rest days

We made a quick trip up to Tacoma last night. I, in my usual optimism, expected that I'd be swimming in the motel pool, working out in the motel Fitness Center, and relaxing in the motel spa. In actuality, we ate a lot of really bad motel restaurant food, and did nothing at all.

I have the 21 mile walk looming on Saturday, and today is a rest day. Tomorrow is too. The thought of it drives me nuts. I can't ride my bike (and I can't tell you how obsessive I've been, thinking about how I can add more trips to work on my bike so my score will be higher!), not that it would be practical anyways, as I have an appointment late in the afternoon, and it drives me nuts. I can't do my 126 minutes of walking--not that I've succeeded in doing it all week. Yikes. I'm looking forward to after the marathon when I can walk all I please (of course, by then it will be dark in the morning and the evenings, hurrah). What's a girl to do?