If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

10/18/2004

insert title here

Thanks for all the suggestions on the blog software issue. I'm no further along in my decision making, but hey. I do appreciate the input.

Perhaps this is post-marathon blues? It doesn't help that the weather has turned grey and drizzly and overcast.

Last night I went to the airport to pick up Mela. The airport is kinda stressful in the best of circumstances, and last night as I stood at the shute that the arrivees descend out of, I was filled with desperation. Had she already come through and I missed her? Was this even her flight? Where was she? I saw soldiers coming through, being greeted with all manner of flags and red-white-and blue balloons and lots of picture taking, and I wondered--were they back from Iraq? Afghanistan? There was a small child behind me with an even smaller flag which he was beating against the carpet until his father asked him to "please, be nice to the flag". I had to crack up.

We did finally find each other after she had been sitting outside for about 5 minutes, and then we couldn't find the car, and finally in the car, we decided to get pho at Pho Van, and it was closed. We ended up at the Takahashi, a funky little japanese diner/sushi bar, and we both had the tension soothed out of us with ramen, tofu agedashi and tempura.

I took a personal day this morning. Maybe it's just the emotional stuff but my body feels tired and cranky as well. I took one of the cats to the vet, and there she is staying. This is Nigella, the destructobot young cat who is always begging for food or aggressively demanding attention or chasing her sister or destroying things, who, for the last couple days has done nothing but sleep. She has a 105 degree temperature which is high for a healthy young cat, and was a bit dehydrated, so they are keeping her "in hospital" with an IV drip. Poor little thing.

So now I wait by the phone to hear how she is. I wish I could go get a workout in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home