If you're a large woman in America, your whole life us an opportunity to feel self-conscious,embarrassed, resentful and way too big. you can hide in the corner or in the couch, you can go to therapy, or you can put on your lycra bike shorts and get out there and move.
—Jayne Williams, Slow Fat Triathlete

10/08/2004

walk this way

I am so thirsty for information about walkers and walking. Where is this information? Where is this community? It has to exist.

Marshall and I exchanged emails the other day, and one of the things that came up was blogging walkers. Where are they? Is it just he and I (him and me)? We both follow runners' blogs to get our fix of athletism. It's not right. I know plenty of serious walkers--so why aren't they blogging?

Am I just living under a rock? Please let me know.

Everyday, I check the forums on PFit. Now that PFit is over for the year, the messages are going to slow down, and then what am I going to do? Hang out on the womens' boards on Runners World? Well, yeah, probably.

Speaking of Runners World, there is a great article on Curt Clausen, the top US racewalker, in the November 2004 issue. I couldn't find it online, but it's called The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Walker. I did find a NPR story, pre-Olympics, called Walking -- Fast -- Toward an Olympic Dream, and also, this wonderful quote:

"I walked a marathon once," Olympic speed walker Curt Clausen recalled, "where there was this marine who took off [running] and said, 'I'll have a heart attack before I let you beat me.' Of course, less than a mile later, I blew by him and beat him by more than 20 minutes."
from Maxim, Aug. 2004


3 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

I'm a walker who blogs.

www.sirgalahad.org/gravida/

I'm working toward a half-marathon at the moment. BUt I certainly sympathize -- I do the same. read runner's blogs for my fix because the walkers seem to be hiding.

6:09 AM

 
Blogger vj said...

Cat-
cool-- I checked out your blog. It's good to know there are other walkers out there!

8:23 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, VJ, look at that! Why didn't I ever just think to ask!? You've already increased the walking blog community by 50%! Nice job. :) Hope your ankle improves quickly...you must be going nuts. Take care of yourself.

9:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home